Ten Words to Remember
When Sharing JESUS With a Friend
- Pray regularly for friends who don't believe in Jesus, that God would work in her heart with His powerful gospel to bring her to a saving faith in her Savior.
- Pray also for friends who believe but are struggling in their spiritual life, that God would strengthen their faith.
- Pray that God will give you opportunities to tell friends about Jesus, that He will help you at those times to speak about the love of the Lord.
- Tell your friend you're praying for her. This will strengthen your relationship.
- We are told "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." (1 Peter 3:15)
- You're a Christian. Friends will notice that you're different and will or may ask
- "Why are you so kind even to those who aren't nice to you?"
- "Why do you pray before you eat?"
- "Why do you wear cross jewelry?"
- "Why do you read a Bible and go to Bible class or worship services?"
- Think about these questions. Prepare an answer.
- What does it mean to be a Christian?
- Get better at sharing about your faith in Jesus by practicing!
- Practice with a friend or family member who is already a believer.
- Role play different questions or scenarios.
- Practice will reduce nervousness and increase confidence.
- Practice listening, too. "Say back" what she said, for clarification.
4) PROJECT YOUR LIGHT
- "You might be the only Bible someone ever reads."
- Your actions (your light in the world!) may open a door to share the gospel which may bring someone to faith in Jesus. Let your light shine!
- Asking "How are you today?" can lead to an opportunity you never expected.
- Sincerely care about others.
- Your friends are looking & watching, so project the love of Christ ALL THE TIME!
5) PROCLAIM THE GOOD NEWS
- The "Good News" (gospel) is powerful when combined with the Holy Spirit.
- Never miss an opportunity to share the Good News!
- Jesus is our loving friend who has saved us from separation from God and His spiritual blessings.
- Jesus died to give us life with God right now AND forever in Heaven.
- Praise God for blessings throughout your day.
- He's your friend. Talk about Him and the way you see Him working in your life.
- Speak about Jesus "from your heart" what you know to be true and the things He has done in your own life.
- Share your past experiences where you have seen God working in your life. Be joyous!
6) PACE YOURSELF
- Take your time.
- As your friendship grows, share more and more about Jesus.
- You don't have to tell everything all at once!
- Listen to your friend's concerns and questions.
- Be sensitive to times of need, crisis, stress; be available. Sending a card with a brief note is one way to proclaim the Good News and shows you care.
- Don't be discouraged with/when people don't listen or accept what you say.
- As you have opportunity, remind your friend about Jesus and share what you believe.
- God loves your friend (even MORE than you do), and wants her to experience the joy and hope of being one of His children by faith in Jesus.
- Pray that God will keep using you and others to share His word with this friend, according to His will.
- Place your confidence in the promises found in Scripture!
- Jesus will always be with you (Matthew 28:20).
- You have the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8).
- God's Word will accomplish what He wants (Isaiah 55:11)
- If your friend asks a question you can't answer, promise to get back to him/her with the answer (then do it!).
- Don't give up too soon.
- Remember God's patience with you!
- Follow God's example when working with or sharing with others.
10) Be PROUD
- You have been given a gift that is more precious than all worldly wealth.
- Your Savior is honored that you believe in Him.
- He is pleased that you are willing to share His name with others.
- Don't be arrogant about it, but BE proud of your Christian faith, and let it show!
(from materials shared at Shepherd Of The Hills Lutheran Church, January 2011)
Click here to go back to the home page.