Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Carol Behind the Scenes

Where Shepherds Lately Knelt  click on title to hear music


Where shepherds lately knelt
and kept the angel's word,
I come in half-belief
(a pilgrim strangely stirred);
But there is room and welcome there for me.
But there is room and welcome there for me!




In that unlikely place I find him as they said;
Sweet newborn Babe (how frail!)
and in a manger bed,
A still, small voice to cry one day for me.
A still, small Voice to cry one day for me!

How should I not have known
Isaiah would be there?
His prophecies fulfilled! 
With pounding heart I stare:
A child, a son, the Prince of Peace for me.
A Child, a Son, the Prince of peace for me!



Can I,
Will I forget how Love was born, and burned
Its way into my heart unasked, unforced, unearned?
To die, to live--and not alone--for me?
To die, to live, and not alone for me!




Text:  Jaroslav J. Vajda (b. 1919)
Tune:  Carl F. Schalk (b. 1929)

No comments: